Poached eggs on toasted brioche with bacon-wrapped asparagus
- 4-6 asparagus spears per person
- 2-3 bacon strips, ½ a slice per asparagus
- 2 eggs per person
- 1 slice of good quality brioche
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar for egg poaching
- Heat the pan to low-medium and add a touch of olive oil to stop the bacon from sticking.
- Gently place the bacon-wrapped asparagus spears in a wide non-stick pan or skillet.
- If the spears are short, you can probably fit a good batch in the pan.
- Fry gently until one side of bacon is brown and crisp.
- Using tongs, turn them over carefully to brown the other side.
- While the bacon is frying, crack the eggs into a small bowl or cup, two at a time.
- Poach the eggs by bringing the pan of water and the vinegar to a gentle boil before lowering the heat to barely a simmer. The vinegar helps to set the whites quickly.
- Stir the water very carefully, and then lower the eggs, two at a time, directly into the centre of the swirl.
- Poach eggs for 2.5-3 minutes, before removing them with a slotted spoon. Cut off any frilly bits of egg white and place the eggs gently on top of the brioche.
- When the bacon is cooked, turn off the heat and remove them carefully from the pan with the tongs and place next to the brioche and eggs.
- Season and serve.